Persuasion (Penguin Popular Classics)

Persuasion - Jane Austen *****SPOILER ALERT*****

I really enjoyed this book. I found it subtle & calm compared to Pride & Prejudice; the only other Jane Austen novel I've read.

The only complaint I have is the lack of conversation between Anne and Capt Wentworth. Austen built up their history so well that I was aching to see them meet & the waiting paid off. The awkwardness, the tension, the sweetness of the whole moment....but that just made me want to see them together again & talking to each other but that took a while.

While I was waiting though, I was treated to more exquisite tension; so much so, that I was ready to scream when they finally talked at Lady Dalrymple's. And the conversation didn't disappoint; in fact, none of the moments they spent together failed to give me something to add to their history together and kept me rooting for them. When they meet again at Camden Place, he gets up the nerve to write her a letter, The Letter, and spills his heart out to her, at last. This clears up any lingering doubts and puts them both on the same page of wanting to be with each other, and as Austen herself says, "Who can be in doubt of what followed?"

Along the way, I was entertained by the other characters in Persuasion although there's no doubt that Anne & Frederick stole the show ! The cold, inconsiderate father, the insensitive sister Elizabeth, the whiny, self-centered Mary...the list goes on, but they all played their part to bring out Anne's character and help me understand her better.