Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way - Jon Krakauer I have to admit I am one of the many that know Greg Mortenson as the well-known, humanitarian persona that he’s famous for. When ‘Three cups of Tea’ and ‘Stones into Schools’ came out, I read them, enjoyed the former more than the latter but was overall left impressed and inspired. It seemed to me that in an area known for one mess after another, one bomb after another; this one man was making a difference. He had stumbled, quite literally, onto the idea of building schools for rural, Pakistani children that would otherwise go without a non-Madrassa type education. What’s more? He actually did it. Well, apparently, Greg Mortenson has been blurring the edges of fact with fiction.

In ‘Three cups of deceit’ Jon Krakauer; author, former donor and admirer of Greg Mortenson’s outlines how embellishments, outright lies, and mismanagement of charitable donations lead to the tarnishing of this humanitarian’s image.

Many of the author’s claims are supported either by published articles, emails, conversations or first person accounts. You can decide how reliable they are. Among the list of falsehoods is the story of how he came to build a school in rural Pakistan, his abduction by the Taliban, and the ethos of building schools in villages affected by terrorism. He also talks about ‘Greg Mortenson the Brand’ going deeper into his financial earnings personally and those of the CAI, how interchangeable they seem to be and how this fundraising machine has involved schools, members of the public, the esteem of a Nobel nominations three years running, and a presidential donation of $100,000.

But what comes across clearest is the author’s sense of disbelief at being duped. This was a very interesting read and while I do find some of the references trustworthy, I would have liked to see a bit more detail or other additional sources used.