Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen I had a hard time getting into the story at he beginning but once Lydia & Mummy dearest were out of the way a bit, it became much more bearable and i could focus on Elizabeth & Mr Darcy.

Its a romance, no doubt about it. But the strong points for me were Mr Darcy's willingness to keep the lines of communication open, and his lack of reserve when expressing his love for her despite the risk of her rebuke by laying himself open like that.

I liked him a lot more than any other character in the story, mostly for his honesty. Elizabeth didn't inspire much feeling...she was a bit tepid. As for the rest of the characters, especially Lydia & Mum...well, I wouldn't have minded catapulting them off into the stone age to be eaten by some particularly vicious brand of beast ! Another aspect of the book I disliked was the constant harping on manners...

Having said all that, I'm glad I finished the book and can gladly say that I will pick up another Austen novel, a 360 degree turnabout from my earlier conviction when I first started P&P that I wouldn't go near another Austen novel with a foot long poker.